"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering." (Romans 12:1, MSG)

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

#LukeActs2014 - Luke chapter 22

Note - If you've been following my blog as we've been reading through the gospel of Luke, you might have noticed that I skipped Luke chapter 21. Forgive me. I felt rather strongly about writing last week's blog in its place. And, after having posted seven photo-blogs from my pilgrimage to the Holy Land, I felt enough was enough. So, today I am going to get us back on track, but before I do I want to thank my good friend, Josh Wilson, for filling in for me and doing such an excellent job with Luke chapters 19 and 20.

Luke chapter 22

Only three more chapters left in Luke's gospel and the plot is quickly accelerating. There is quite a lot to absorb from these 71 verses as we see Christ's passion begin to unfold. And, as I read this week's chapter, I found myself doing so with new eyes, having been to Jerusalem and stood in the places where these events occurred. 

When reading about the Passover meal that Jesus shared with the disciples (vv. 14-38), I found myself transported back to the Upper Room on Mount Zion, traditionally held to be the site of the Last Supper.


When reading about Jesus in prayer (vv. 39-46), I remembered walking in the Garden of Gethsemane.


When reading about Jesus' arrest (vv. 47-53), I remembered standing in the "sacred pit" underneath the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu, where it is believed that Jesus spent the night after his arrest.


The Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu (which means "cock's crow") commemorates Peter's denial of knowing Jesus (vv. 54-62).


The entrance to the church. These are the most amazing doors I saw in the Holy Land...an artist's depiction of Jesus predicting Peter's denial.
When reading about Jesus standing before the Jewish leaders, I remembered standing inside the chapel of the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu, which includes at its center the rock where it is believed the high priest Caiaphas stood while questioning Jesus during the early morning hours before taking him to Pilate (vv. 66-71).


Aside from remembering these places, and again feeling enormously grateful for having been to the Holy Land, a portion of Luke 22 really stood out to me...when, after supper, the disciples argued over which one of them should be regarded as greatest (vv. 24-30). Here they were, having supper with the Savior of the world, and they were selfishly arguing their own interests. 

More than 2,000 years later, not much has changed. 

Lord, have mercy on your church; and, following your example as the most selfless servant of all, may we humbly serve one another. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment