"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering." (Romans 12:1, MSG)

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#LukeActs2014 - Luke chapter 14

In my opinion, one of the greatest things to happen to contemporary worship music is an incredible band from northern Ireland called Rend Collective. I mention this because I thought of their song, The Cost, when reading Luke chapter 14.

I'm saying yes to You and no to my desires,
I'll leave myself behind and follow You.
I'll walk the narrow road,
'cause it leads me to You,
I'll fall, but grace will pick me up again.

I've counted up the cost,
Oh, I've counted up the cost,
Yes, I've counted up the cost,
And You are worth it. 
I do not need safety as much as I need You,
You're dangerous but Lord, You're beautiful.
I'll chase You through the pain, I'll carry my cross,
'Cause real love is not afraid to bleed.
 
Jesus, take my all,
Take my everything.
I've counted up the cost,
               And You're worth everything. 
          (© 2011 Thankyou Music)


Back to Luke chapter 14...Jesus says not once but three times to the large crowd traveling with him, "whoever doesn't...cannot be my disciple." (vv. 26, 27, 33) Why? 

It is important for us first to remember where Jesus is going as He addresses the crowd. (And it is appropriate to find ourselves here this week, too, considering that Holy Week is next week.) Jesus is on His way to Jerusalem...on his way to the cross. And so, Jesus is inviting those with "ears to hear" to really think about what they are doing and to decide if they are willing to go all the way with Him. Jesus is inviting them to "count up the cost" of following Him because the commitment that requires is far greater than they know. 

I invite you to join me in using the words to this song as a prayer throughout the remainder of Lent. May your pilgrimage continue to both challenge you and renew your Spirit. 

Peace to you, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment