"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering." (Romans 12:1, MSG)

Monday, October 21, 2013

Introducing - A Word for the Everyday

As I wrote several weeks ago, I've been dreaming of ways that I might be able to use my blog as a tool for ministry. More specifically, I've been pondering its use in the area of spiritual formation and discipleship. I've already introduced three categories for the blog I hope to feature regularly:
  1. Foto Friday - This category is purely personal and is more for my own benefit and spiritual formation, but I plan to use it regularly as a means for holding myself accountable to Sabbath and using photography as a Sabbath activity for seeking God through the lens of my camera.
  2. A Word of Prayer - This category was introduced here.  Some blog entries might come from reading  and studying books on prayer as a means of engaging in practical conversation about the discipline of prayer. Other blog entries might simply be prayers that I encounter, so that we can read and pray together. 
  3. A Word from Wesley - This category was introduced here. Through his sermons, journals, and letters, John Wesley had a lot to say to Christians and the Church of his day...much of which we Christians in the post-modern Church need to hear afresh today.
The fourth, and final category for now, is "A Word for the Everyday." Some time ago, I wrote a blog called "The other six days..." which I used to help explain my initial inspiration for this blog and for naming it "Everyday, ordinary worship." As followers of Jesus, we are all ministers of the gospel and are each called to embrace our very own "holy ministries." To put it another way, we are all called to become who God made us to be with our everyday, ordinary lives. 

Something I plan to use as I write posts for "A Word for the Everyday," is a unique book titled The Complete Book of Everyday Christianity (An A-to-Z Guide To Following Christ In Every Aspect of Life), edited by Robert Banks and R. Paul Stevens. This volume is everything its title claims to be and is more comprehensive than you might imagine. 

If we truly are Christians committed to making a difference in the world, than I hope you will agree "that our religious convictions and values should be reflected in all that we do - the way we eat and drink, work and play, worship and vote, the quality of our parenting and friendships, our involvement with our neighbors and colleagues, our engagement with popular or high culture" and so on. (p. vii, The Complete Book of Everyday Christianity).

So, there you have it. I hope you are looking forward to following the blog and engaging the content by entering into conversation with me about what it means to be an "everyday, ordinary worshiper." Please subscribe to the blog by following via e-mail and, if you read something of interest to you, I would appreciate you helping me get the word out by sharing it via social media. Thank you, friends, and may grace and peace be always with you in your everyday, ordinary lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment